In order to obtain a State of Alabama Home Builders License, one must:

1.     Either:

A.     Provide a check or money order in the amount of $25, made payable to the Home Builders Licensure Board.  Payment should be mailed to 445 Herron Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104 or Post Office Box 303605, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-3605.  Be sure to state whether you are requesting an unlimited license application package, a limited license application package or a roofers license application package.

The package received directly from the Board's office contains a copy of the law and the rules and regulations governing the Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board. The Board is authorized to license and regulate the residential construction and remodeling industries in the state under the authority of Title 34, Section 14A, of the Code of Alabama.

Please review the “Instructions” page of the application package.


B.     Download a free, printable copy of the new license application package.  Applicants downloading an application package from the website will need to download and print a copy of the Statute and Administrative Rules & Regulations, found here.

Click below for the appropriate application package:



Once you have completed the appropriate application, return the notarized application with payment for the application processing fee and applicable license fee.  Fees may be paid by check or money order only, and made payable to the Home Builders Licensure Board.

2.     Satisfy the Board that the applicant possesses the experience and ability to engage in residential homebuilding.

A.     To receive an Unlimited License, take and pass the Alabama Home Builders Exams. No authorization is required to take the exams.

Testing information, including testing sites and registration, is available at (Please note that the Board does not administer testing and all questions regarding testing should be directed to the testing provider, Prov)

NEW TESTING INFORMATION (click to view pdf file)

B.     To receive a Limited or Roofers License, applicant must provide a copy of a currently held, or held on or before one (1) year prior to the date of the application, business or occupational license as a contractor issued by a municipality, township, or county in the state.

3.     Satisfy the Board that the applicant possesses the business-related financial responsibility to engage in residential homebuilding.

A.     To receive an Unlimited or Limited License, request that a current credit report on the individual or business who is making application be sent to the Board directly from a credit-reporting agency.

(The above link is provided as a service by the Home Builders Licensure Board.  Endorsement of any particular credit reporting agency is not implied.)

B.     To receive a Roofers License, request that a $10,000 License/Permit Bond naming the Board as the Obligee be submitted directly to the Board by the Surety issuing the bond.

4.     If applying as a corporation, limited liability company or limited partnership,

A.     Provide a Certificate of Compliance from the Alabama Department of Revenue.

B.     Provide notarized minutes identifying the designated qualifying representative as an officer of the corporation, general partner of the partnership/limited partnership, member of the member-managed limited liability company or manager of the manager-managed limited liability company.

5.     If applying as a foreign (out-of-state) corporation, limited liability company or limited partnership, provide a Certificate of Existence from the Alabama Secretary of State.

6.     All applicants must provide proof of citizenship with a copy of a driver license, birth certificate, or passport, or provide proof that they are lawfully present in this state. A list of documents acceptable for proving lawful presence may be found on the application.