In order to obtain a State of Alabama Home Builders License, one must:
a. Obtain an application package by sending a written request along with a check or money order for $25 to Home Builders Licensure Board. Be sure to state whether you are requesting an unlimited license application or a limited license application package. Complete the appropriate application form and return the notarized application with a check or money order made payable to the Home Builders Licensure Board .
The package contains a copy of the law and the rules and regulations governing the Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board. The Board is authorized to license and regulate the residential construction and remodeling industries in the state, under the authority of Title 34, Section 14A, of the Code of Alabama.
Please review the “Instructions” page of the application package.
b. To download a printable copy of the new license application package, click below for the appropriate application package:
The form must then be completed, signed, notarized and returned with a check or money order made payable to the Home Builders Licensure Board in the amount of $350.00 ($250 license fee and $100 new license application processing fee).
2. Satisfy the Board that the applicant possesses the experience and ability to engage in residential homebuilding.
a. To receive an Unlimited License, take and pass the Alabama Home Builders Exams. No authorization is required to take the exams.
In order to better serve the needs of each candidate, the Board offers nine testing facilities: Auburn, Birmingham (2), Enterprise, Huntsville, Mobile, Montgomery,Sheffield and Tuscaloosa.
Additional testing information and registration is available at http://provexam.com/
b. To receive a Limited License, the applicant must provide one of the following as detailed by the limited license application: building permit(s), home owner's affidavit, current license issued by a jurisdiction in the State of Alabama which requires testing, contracts, or a business/occupational contractor's license issued by a municipality, township, or county in the state.
3. Request that a current credit report on the individual or business who is making application be sent to the Board directly from a credit-reporting agency.
(The above link is provided as a service by the Home Builders Licensure Board. Endorsement of any particular credit reporting agency is not implied.)
4. If applying as a corporation, limited liability company or limited partnership,
a. Provide a Certificate of Compliance from the Alabama Department of Revenue.
b. Provide a copy of the Articles of Incorporation, the Articles of Organization, or the partnership agreement as applicable.
c. Additionally, if applying as a corporation, provide a listing of officers.
5. If applying as a foreign (out-of-state) corporation, limited liability company or limited partnership, also provide a Certificate of Existence from the Alabama Secretary of State.
6. All applicants must provide proof of citizenship with a copy of a driver license, birth certificate, or passport, or provide proof that they are lawfully present in this state. A list of documents acceptable for proving lawful presence is on the application.