How do I file a complaint?

The Home Builders Licensure Board was created to protect the public from unqualified, incompetent and dishonest home building contractors and remodelers who provide inadequate, unsafe or inferior building services. Click here for a Consumer Complaint Form to be downloaded and completed or contact the Home Builders Licensure Board’s Office of Compliance and Consumer affairs at 1-800-304-0853 to request a form.  The original completed form, along with any supporting documentation, must be mailed to the Home Builders Licensure Board, P. O. Box 303605, Montgomery, AL 36130-3605. The Board must receive an original, signed and notarized form before processing any consumer complaint. For more information about the complaint process, click here.

How do I verify someone has a license?

You may click here to check a builder’s licensure status on the website. If you do not see the builder on the web list, please call the Board’s office at 1-800-304-0853 to verify whether the builder holds a current and valid license.

What is the status of my complaint?

It takes approximately 90 days to complete the consumer complaint process. To determine the status of your consumer complaint, review the steps of the consumer complaint process, i.e., has the initial 20 day period passed? Has the investigator visited the site? etc. If you are still unsure about the status of your consumer complaint, contact the Board at 1-800-304-0853 and ask for the Compliance Division.

How do I report someone suspected of building without a license?

Call the Builder Watch Hotline – 1-800-304-0853 – to anonymously report any suspected unlawful residential construction.

How can I get my money back from an unlicensed builder?

The Board cannot order a licensed builder or an unlicensed builder to repay or refund money to a homeowner. If a homeowner believes he should be compensated for damages caused by a licensed or unlicensed builder, he should contact an attorney and discuss the legal options available under the circumstances.

Who may file a consumer complaint?

ONLY an original homeowner may file a consumer complaint against a licensee of the Board.

What is the time limit for filing a consumer complaint?
The original homeowner must file the consumer complaint with the Board within six (6) years of substantial completion of construction of the residence, or within six (6) years of the date the original homeowner took possession of the residence.
Is a consumer entitled to have copies of documents related to the consumer complaint process?

Upon written request, a consumer is entitled to receive a copy of an administrative complaint, orders to show cause, notices of hearings and statements of charges, and all amendments thereto, and all orders of the Board.

Are there any documents maintained by the Board confidential and not available to consumers or the public?

An investigative file is confidential, is not public record, and is not available for court subpoena or for discovery in civil proceedings. Disciplinary action proceedings are closed. The record in a disciplinary action proceeding is confidential, is not public record, and is not available for court subpoena or discovery in civil proceedings.


Homeowners Recovery Fund

Is there any kind of funding for homeowners?

The Homeowners’ Recovery Fund is available for homeowners who have hired a licensed builder to build a residence or perform work on an existing residence for which a license is required.  If the homeowners get a judgment against the licensed builder, but are unable to collect on the judgment, the homeowners can collect up to $20,000.00 toward the amount of the judgment comprising actual economic damages from the Homeowner’s Recovery Fund.

How do you access the fund?
The homeowner must notify the Board by certified mail within 10 days of filing a civil complaint against the licensed builder and provide the Board with a copy of the complaint filed in court.  Upon receipt of notification from the homeowner, the Board will provide the homeowner with a copy of the Homeowner’s Recovery Fund Regulations. The Homeowner’s Recovery Fund Regulations set forth the procedure for making a claim against the Homeowner’s Recovery Fund.
If the builder is not licensed by the Board, can the homeowner collect from the Homeowner’s Recovery Fund?

No.  The builder must be licensed by the Board at the time the work was undertaken, and at the time the contract was entered into.

Are the monies that I received from the Homeowner’s Recovery Fund taxable?
The Board cannot determine whether the monies you receive from the Homeowner’s Recovery Fund are taxable; please consult with your attorney to make that determination.